Location: Ottawa, Ontario (Preferred)
Harris Utilities SmartWorks
Smart people wanted
Harris Utilities, an operating group of Harris Computer Systems, is the leading provider of utility technology in North America and the Caribbean. Harris Utilities provides enterprise level integrated solutions for customer information, utility billing, financial management, and smart grid applications. With over 35 years of industry experience, thousands of customers depend on our portfolio of focused products developed directly for the utilities market.
Its SmartWorks division empowers utilities to navigate change and unleash potential of the smart infrastructure. SmartWorks’ goal is to create whole new categories of products that will transform the industry and evolve the smart grid. The SmartWorks portfolio includes a growing number of innovative products that are essential to advance business intelligence and enable unprecedented interaction between utilities and their customers.
• SmartWorks Compass is a utility decision management (UDM) solution comprised of robust analytics, metrics, visualization and automation tools. It enables utilities to maximize return on investments in their smart infrastructure by seamlessly converting massive volumes of data into powerful insights and automated actions.
• MeterSense is an advanced meter data management (MDM) solution that enables utilities to improve business processes and enhance customer service.
• CustomerConnect is a Customer Engagement Solution (CES) and web-based data presentment tool that enables consumers to access and interpret their consumption patterns.
As a rapidly changing and fast-growing organization, Harris Utilities is always looking for smart people to join its team. If you’re someone who has a passion for innovation, a knack for bringing new products to market or a flair for dealing with customers, then talk to us.
SmartWorks requires a Technical Consultant to work with and provide support for SmartWork’s Compass, MeterSense and Customer Connect applications.
Technical Consultants are part of an implementation team that consists of a project manager, business consultant, solution architect, as well as developer/programmers from the R&D Department.
Business Consultants and Technical Consultants work very closely to develop the customer solution. The two roles are roughly defined as follows:
Business Consultant: Responsible for helping the customer to articulate business objectives and define requirements. Work with the Technical Consultant to drive solutions that are within the general scope of product functionality. When the solution is delivered, validate that the defined requirements have been met.
Technical Consultant: Responsible for designing and building the desired solution. Work with the Business Consultant and R&D to identify ways to achieve customer requirements. When the solution is delivered, validate that the solution meets QA objectives.
The Technical Consultant plays a key role in the implementation and delivery of the SmartWorks applications. They lead the deployment, configuration and integration required for the solutions to provide value to the customer. SmartWorks applications are very data intensive system that provide data and reports to numerous other systems. As such, strong database management skills are essential.
- Lead the technical design and delivery of the software solution
- Deploy, setup, and configure the database, application, and system interfaces
- Lead the design and configuration of the overall solution
- Enhance existing or design new system processes to meet business requirements via configuration and/or other development tools such as database queries, rules, and user defined fields
- Develop solution design documentation, including object relationship diagrams and data flow diagrams
- Collaborate with R&D to develop solutions for the application as issues arise, and documenting for future reference
- Analyze and evaluate present or proposed business procedures to define data processing needs
- Develop and deliver presentations, documentation and training on the functionality of the application
- Develop strong relationships with customers, other members of the SmartWorks engagement team, Support Services Group and R&D; liaise with 3rd party vendors to develop system integrations
- Deliver on commitments to customers in agreed upon timeframe
- Manage activities to produce successful results on multiple projects simultaneously
To meet this challenge you must possess a high level of initiative, creativity and energy as required to succeed in a fast-paced team environment, as well as several of the following skills:
- 3 years or more working experience in a Technical Analyst or Consultant role
- Bachelor’s or College degree in Computer Science or Engineering required
- Experience with advanced database concepts (Oracle preferred)
- Experience with Java technology, API and XML specifications and Systems Integrations
- Comfortable working with different operating platforms - Unix, Linux, Windows
- Working knowledge and understanding of modern software implementation methodologies
- Interest or experience in the Utilities industry, especially Smart Grid, Metering, AMI, MDM
- Passion for the customer and for work excellence with a focus on producing strong results
- Highly developed organizational skills and time management ability
- Strong analytical troubleshooting skills a must. Ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to learn quickly in a high paced, challenging environment
- Ability to write technical design, instructions and procedures to be used by customers
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team on projects
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Willingness to learn, teach and share information with peers, management and users
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time